Friday, 17 March 2017

Remembering Sunday

The movie "Remembering Sunday" , stars Zachary Levi and Alexis Bledel (of Gilmore Girls) was about a brilliant scientist who lost his ability to remember.  He will wake up each morning unable to recall yesterday. But memories of his past was crystal clear.

His thoughtful sister created a folder which he was suppose to read each morning when he wakes up. The folder explains his condition and to anticipate problems he would face through the day.

I thought it was a smart move and on his part he took to recording what he did each day and  at times conversations.

I loved that movie and watched 8 re-runs.  Unknown to me then why I was so obsessed with this movie!!!

Just yesterday I plastered my mum's walls with same content as the ' folder'.   My mum does not have a habit to flip open books thus I had to make it pop out at her when she opens her eyes.

The minute the wakes she would see a print out of her family, names, address.  I would remind her that she is having a memory lapse condition and that the blanks would be filled. She needs to not panic, but relax, watch TV or sleep.

I found it to help pacify her fears and calm her for awhile.

I have kept my mum's condition from her cos I find it too cruel to tell her in this fragile state.  Deep set depression could create a whole new set of problems... I do not need them now.



2 comments:

  1. I have the same situation with my Mother - and I understand what you are going thru - it is so difficult to watch this wonderful woman - mother of 8 children - decline. She is 93 and struggles on a daily basis - physically, she is well but dementia has taken its toll on her - so we all do our best -love her and take one day at a time. Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its the in-between that is so heartbreaking. She remembers and yet she does not. Sometimes I wish she would forget altogether. Painful for me, but at least numb to her. She does not have to struggle. Blessings to you and your mum.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.